Covidien Announces New Evidence that Demonstrates Clinical Efficacy of VNUS ClosureFAST(TM) Catheter
Multicenter Study Results Presented at 37thAnnual VEITH Symposium
Covidien (NYSE:COV), a leading global provider of healthcare products, announced that results from a prospective, multicenter study using the VNUS ClosureFAST(TM) catheter, demonstrated clinical efficacy and improvement in quality of life for patients. The ClosureFAST catheter is an endovenous radiofrequency (RF) ablation catheter designed to heat and close diseased veins, the major underlying cause of varicose veins.
The results were presented at the American College of Phlebology's 24thAnnual Congress in Orlando, Florida on November 5, and here today at the 37thAnnual VEITH Symposium on Vascular and Endovascular Issues.
Alan Dietzek, M.D., Chief of Vascular Surgery and the Linda and Stephen R. Cohen Chair in Vascular Surgery at Danbury Hospital in Connecticut, presented three-year follow-up results of patients treated with the ClosureFAST catheter from a study conducted at 13 centers in the U.S. and Europe. Two-hundred sixty-seven greater saphenous veins were evaluated at the follow-up and demonstrated a 93% occlusion rate using Kaplan-Meier analysis.
In addition to clinical efficacy, the study has shown a venous clinical severity score reduction at three-year follow up, which indicates an improvement in patients' relief of symptoms, such as pain or inflammation, from the baseline score at time of treatment.
These results were consistent with those presented this month for the seven European study sites by Professor Thomas M. Proebstle, M.D., PhD, of the Department of Dermatology, University of Mainz, Germany, and the University of Pécs, Hungary, in his presentation titled, "Three Year Follow-Up After Radiofrequency Segmental Thermal Ablation of Great Saphenous Veins." The European study was presented at the American College of Phlebology.
"These study results continue to support and strengthen clinicians' confidence in the ClosureFAST technology and its effectiveness in treating millions of venous insufficiency patients who suffer from varicose veins," said Joe Woody, President, Vascular Therapies, Covidien.
Covidien is a leading global healthcare products company that creates innovative medical solutions for better patient outcomes and delivers value through clinical leadership and excellence. Covidien manufactures, distributes and services a diverse range of industry-leading product lines in three segments: Medical Devices, Pharmaceuticals and Medical Supplies. With 2010 revenue of $10.4 billion, Covidien has approximately 42,000 employees worldwide in more than 60 countries, and its products are sold in over 140 countries. Please visit www.covidien.comto learn more about our business.
- TRANSBORNEO WOUND CONFERENCE 2014
- APHM International Healthcare Conference & Exhibition 2014
- BSI Medical Device Forum 2014
- NADI - Diabetes Complications Conference & Grand Rounds 2014
- Sunway Medical Centre International Accreditation Award Press Conference
- idsMED Healthcare Forum 2014
- Frost & Sullivan - GIL Malaysia & MYEA 2014
- Hospital Efficiency and Quality Asia Summit 2014
- The 17th SE-Asian Healthcare & Pharma Show 2014
- Frost & Sullivan 2014 Healthcare Outlook
- General Hospital - Hospital Management Senate / Healthcare Supply Chain 2013
- Frost & Sullivan Corporate Challenge 2013 : Frost The Trail
- Diabetes Asia 2013
- BioMalaysia & Bioeconomy Asia Pacific 2013 Conference & Exhibition
- LabAsia 2013
- Medical Fair Thailand 2013
- APHM International Healthcare Conference & Exhibition 2013